Saturday, March 2, 2013

Delayed First Impressions






I cannot believe that it has already been a month since I first stepped foot into the beautiful city of Florence. The first few days were filled with long orientation meetings and overpriced meals, but once we finally moved into our apartment the many true colors of Florence began to shine through. The area of Florence that I am so blessed to be living in is right in the heart of the city. About two minutes from the Duomo--completed in the 1400s, it has the biggest dome made out of brick in the world, it used to be the largest dome in the world period but some new modern churches have surpassed it. It is a large and very beautiful cathedral with the most delicate and intricate exterior decorations, that still takes my breath away each time I walk past (which just happens to be everyday!).
 Going the opposite direction from my apartment you quickly run into fake David and then the Ponte Vecchio. Standing on the Ponte Vecchio, which overlooks the Fiume Arno, I am so quickly and often reminded of how lucky I am to have the opportunity to study abroad in such a beautiful place.
            Italy completely blew my expectations out of the water. I had imagined breathtaking views, delicious fresh food, and refreshing vino, but nothing can even compare to the real thing. Most importantly the food is nothing I can even explain, it’s almost like my taste buds are enjoying this trip more than I am! Every Monday I go to the Mercato Centrale, a daily farmers market with everything from butchers, to cheese makers, to bread, to the freshest vegetables and sweetest fruits I have ever tasted. It is going to be so hard to go back to Northern New Hampshire and Boston and try to eat as luxuriously as I do here..
The second and third week of being in this Tuscan paradise, Florence hosted Fiera del Cioccolate, a chocolate festival with chocolates from all over Italy! Needless to say I was in heaven. There were about 20 different tents all serving up their own original chocolate treats, from cremino (a thin soft hazelnut and almond pastry layer between two sweet chocolate cream layers--AMAZING!), to strawberries and waffles dipped in chocolate fountains, to chocolate rum. There was anything and everything a sweet tooth could desire. I was so sad when it ended but my wallet and waistline are probably relieved. 

The city of Florence is one that I could not even try to explain through a blog post, but it is by far one of my favorite places I have been to on this earth. It's breathtaking beauty, cheerful and loving locals, the phenomenal food, and it's ability to be so old but still hold so many unknowns, have all taken me over. A month later and I'm still in love and completely blown away by this amazing and captivating city..

No comments:

Post a Comment